When the letters in “Applied” are rearranged, one of the results is “Apple ID”. Even though this is a complete coincidence, we consider Applied Materials the “Apple” of semiconductor market.
Applied Materials, a Global leader in semiconductor market, was founded by Michael A. McNeilly in November 10th 1967 with a $7,500 loan from his father in-law. Michael A. McNeilly was 28 years old at the time and he was the only employee of the company for about 3 months. Today, Applied Materials has 92 locations in 19 countries, over 14.000 employees, about $9 Billion net sales, and a total of over 10.000 patents.
In 2006, the Santa Clara – California based Applied Materials decided to enter the solar manufacturing equipment market. To improve its position in the solar energy market, Applied Materials acquired an Italian company, Baccini, which designs tools used in manufacturing solar cells, in 2008. A year later, in 2009, Applied Materials opened the world’s largest non-government solar energy R & D establishment in China.
Today, this technology giant categorizes its products in 5 groups:
- Semiconductor Products
- Display Products
- Solar Products
- Automation Software
- Roll-to-Roll Products
At this point, it is worth mentioning one of the most impressive & important facts about Applied Materials. Even though its head-quarters is located in Santa Clara, Applied Materials has a very significant presence in Austin Texas. The 1.9 million square foot Austin facility is Applied Materials’ largest manufacturing site & the location for its second largest employee population.
A few other most impressive & important facts about Applied Materials can be demonstrated with the awards & honors the company has received in recent years. If we categorize the awards in 3 groups, under Corporate Ethics, Applied Materials has received the following awards & honors.
- A spot in Ethisphere’s 2012 & 2013 “World’s Most Ethical Companies” list
- A spot in Corporate Responsibility Magazine’s 2010 & 2011 “100 Best Corporate Citizens” list
Under Community Investments, Applied Materials has received the following awards & honors.
- A spot in “Top 100 Military Friendly Employer” by G.I. Jobs Magazine consecutively from 2005 to 2012
- A spot in “Top Corporate Philanthropist” for donations & services in 2008 & 2009 by the Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal
- Recognition for exceptional support of the arts in the US by the Business Committee for the Arts in 2009
The list of awards & honors gets bigger and better. The following were received by Applied Materials in recent years for being an Environmental Friendly company.
- A spot in NEWSWEEK Magazine’s “Top Greenest Companies” consecutively from 2009 to 2012
- California League of Conservation Voters’ 28th annual Environmental Leadership Awards 2010
- Nonprofit Acterra’s 2010 Environmental Business Award
- EPA Green Power Leadership Award 2009
- A spot in Computerworld magazine‘s “Top 12 Green IT vendors” in 2009
- Austin Business Journal’s “Going Green Awards” in 2008
After seeing this impressive list of recognitions, it should not come as a surprise that Applied Materials was a part of President Obama’s Jobs & Opportunity Tour in May 2013.
The following is the speech President Obama gave during his visit to Applied Materials.
For more information about Applied Materials, please visit the following pages by clicking on the respective links: