Solar Decathlon is an international competition presented by U.S. Department of Energy and organized by National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) every other year except for the 3 year gap between the first & second competitions that took place in 2002 and 2005 respectively. The goal is to build the house that is the most affordable, attractive, and comfortable as well as being able to produce more energy than it consumes.
The 6th Solar Decathlon will take place between October 3th & 13th 2013, in Orange County Great Park in Irvine, California. This year, there will be 20 teams competing (click on each link below to visit the respective team’s website):
- Arizona State University and University of New Mexico
- Catholic University of America, George Washington University, and American University
- Czech Technical University
- Hampton University and Old Dominion University
- Middlebury College
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Norwich University
- Queen’s University, Carleton University, and Algonquin College
- Santa Clara University
- Southern California Institute of Architecture and California Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- Stevens Institute of Technology
- University of Calgary
- University of Louisville, Ball State University, and University of Kentucky
- University of Nevada Las Vegas
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- University of Southern California
- University of Texas at El Paso and El Paso Community College
- Vienna University of Technology
- West Virginia University
The Solar Decathlon event is open to public for educational purposes. Volunteers are also welcome to either assist with the event organization or be a volunteer team crew member. For more information on volunteering, please click on this link to visit the respective page in Solar Decathlon website.
We cannot stress enough that these teams work hard on their projects for 2 years before heading out to the competition. Therefore, the end results are extremely attractive & very resourceful houses that many could consider dream homes. Click on each tab below to see pictures of a sample house from Solar Decathlon 2011. After the competition, some of these houses are sold to cover the expenses but most of them are moved over to the respective team’s university for display.
For more information about the event, please click on this link to visit the Solar Decathlon website.